Friday, February 4, 2011

friday thoughts

My boss called me into his office this afternoon.  I called in sick yesterday, and my stomach hurt so badly today that I was two hours late.  Considering I have only been here four weeks today, this really isn't great.  He basically just wanted to tell me that I am depressed but wants to make sure my work is getting done.  Then I remembered the reasons why, despite the massive stabbing pains I felt in my abdomen, I also didn't want to go to work today.  I am so grateful for a job, and think this is one God really gifted me with, especially right now... it does give me something to do with my day.  I am really discontent with life though.  Actually, discontent is absolutely not the right word... angry, sad, frustrated, hurt by life... I feel like opportunity was stolen from me.  I didn't want to go to work today because I want what I don't have.  I didn't want to go because I can't concentrate, I can't focus, and I don't get hardly anything done.  I feel like I am wasting their money by sitting here, yet this time of life is really not allowing me to show just how good I can be at this.  I didn't want to go because I want to do something different... something lovely, something fantastic, something that is altogether me.  I'm not trying to have a bad attitude about it.  I suppose-- ugh, this is going to hurt-- I want a dream to come true.  Not a goal, or a wish, or a thought... like a real dream.  The kind that I don't ever talk about or express because when they fall flat and belly up, it is easier to be self-deprecating in the loss of it, than to face failure or loss in the wake of it all with people asking about it constantly.  Actually, it is much easier not to have any dreams at all, especially ones of the heart.  But aren't all dreams ones of the heart?  There should be a warning sign for those of us with really big ideas and really big hearts to stop before we actually think one or two might come true.  This could be a reality check between my timing and God's timing, until I think His timing was right in front of me.  Then I'm just confused, and the cycle continues.  I was so excited.  I was so grateful.  I was so ready for something only God could do.  But here I am, again.  More unsure, and more disappointed, and more sad than I ever thought possible, because in some dreams lie the hope of dreams unkept in just the mind and heart.  Some dreams are in my soul.  And when I warily yet hopefully tap into those, the effects can be devastating when they shatter in front of my face.   

6 comments:

  1. Jenna, is there anyone with whom you've been able to really talk this through? It sounds like you're really hurting right now, and I'm hoping you're letting someone inside to help you sort through things...or even just to listen. Is there someone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there are people. Different people try to answer a different piece of the mess. And yes, I am really hurting. I suppose letting go and letting God only gets me so far though. I am trying to live my life forward and let Him work... but I feel held back in so many ways. And I have so many questions I don't know if God will ever answer. I suppose the questions I could ask about God aren't really answered or talked too much about... but a lot of those start with WHY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna, one of my dearest closest girlfriends. We need another coffee date/ room date this week. I'm so frustrated with the ways Satan is clouding your mind. I am praying that God will reveal to you WHY you don't have to dwell on the former. WHY His ways are flawless in the midst of this heart turmoil. and WHY these deep emotions are springing up in you. God doesn't just simply ask us to leave the former but He is so kind, in that He reveals to us why. Because He radically wants to heal our wounds and make things right. You have every reason to hold on to the hope that He will make things right, good and worthwhile. Even in these nasty situations that we create and keep our hearts/minds wrapped in.

    I just had this thought :: Jesus entirely took on all the sin of our world. He even took on all the things that come along with sin - brokenness, pain, abandonment, emptiness, etc...Jesus fixed His eyes upon a new horizon while He was on the cross. He carried away everything that entails sin so that we don't have to fall into it and allow it's foothold in our lives. I pray that you can fix your eyes on a new horizon. I will fix my eyes on hope and restoration with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First and formost, I am praying praying praying for you. Second, I have been here. And it sounds like to me the biggest part of all this is fear, fear that your biggest dreams from God will not come true? That you aren't capapble? My answer to that is LIES! Those are LIES from the enemy that tries to attack soft hearts like you that want to fullfill your dreams that God puts in you. Pray against the fear. God will not leave you nor forsake you. He would not put these dreams in your heart if He didn't think you were capapble of fullfilling them. If the Holy Spirit lives IN you which I know He does... then if you are doubting yourself and your dreams, are you doubting God? You are His will in this world. God believes in you, when you don't believe in you. Jesus transferred His life and ministry to you when He died on that cross. He sent His Holy Spirit so that you can do the impossible. I pray for you to find rest and peace in the Holy Spirit and His love. Remember that at the end of the day... that is truly all that matters. p.s. read Psalm 91. It's my "go-to" Scripture. Hang in there... God can and will heal your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. definitely praying for you. I agree with Nick. In times of hurting we can tend to isolate ourselves which only makes things worse. Just know there's a group of 30 people (circles) who are here for you and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete